If you’re looking for something a little more innovative than traditional BBQ basting, spicy litchi barbeque sauce is for you. This is a sweet, spicy and salty sauce that’s an absolutely delicious marinade for meat. Keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Spicy litchi barbeque sauce
- 15ml (1 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- 80ml (1/3 cup) litchi juice
- 125ml (½ cup) litchis, peeled and pitted
- 1 x 420g tin chopped tomatoes
- 170ml tomato sauce
- 170ml white wine
- 100g brown sugar
- 30ml (2 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- cayenne pepper or chilli powder, to taste
Place all the ingredients into a saucepan. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 20 – 25 minutes.
Blend in a food processor until smooth. Strain through a sieve to remove any lumps.
Use the mixture to brush on meat or chicken pieces before grilling or cooking on the braai.