- 6 potatoes, cut into chips
- 80 ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsp salt, plus extra to season
- 4 flank steaks (±180g each) 80g butter
- 2 tsp cracked black pepper, plus extra to season
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 150 ml cream
1. Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with foil.
2. Mix the chips with the oil and salt in a bowl. Place on the baking tray.
3. Bake for 35–45 minutes. Give a good shake after 25 minutes. (Be careful: if you do this before the chips have crisped up, they will simply break apart.)
4. Heat a pan to medium-high. Pop the steaks in the pan and cook for a few minutes on each side (see left for our guide to cooking times). Sprinkle with salt and pepper as you cook.
5. Shake around and slide the steaks out of the pan. Allow to rest for 10 minutes while you make the sauce.
6. Melt the butter and fry the pepper and garlic for a couple of minutes, until the butter starts to turn brown. Add the cream and simmer for 5–8 minutes to reduce.
7. Serve the well-rested steaks with the chips and pepper sauce on the side.
Tip: This recipe is specifically for flank steaks. Fillets are denser and will take a bit longer.
Serves 4 | Prep time: 25 mins | Cooking time: 20mins
[Image by Vera Davidova via Unplsash]