Stuffed black mushrooms
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 80ml (1/3 cup) fresh cream, warmed
- 80ml (1/3 cup) butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 large black mushrooms, cleaned
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- Stuffed black mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 100g mature Cheddar, grated
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh chives, finely chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) fresh thyme leaves
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Cook the potatoes in plenty of boiling salted water until soft. Drain and mash in a large bowl with the cream and 50ml of the butter. Season, cover and keep warm until needed.
Remove the mushroom stems and reserve. Place the mushroom caps on a baking tray, dot with the remaining butter and bake for 5 minutes.
Finely chop the mushroom stems.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and sauté the onion, garlic, chilli and chopped mushroom stems until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the cheese, parsley, chives and thyme and stir to combine.
Combine the potato mixture and the onion mixture in a bowl and spoonb into a piping bag. Using a large nozzle, pipe the potato mixture into the mushroom caps.
Grill the stuffed mushrooms under a hot grill until golden, about 5 minutes. Serve hot with a green salad.