Stuffed peppers are a classic side dish. Not only are they easy to make and full of flavour, they’re also always a hit. This recipe uses some favourite Mediterranean flavours.
- 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200g beef mince
- 10ml (2 tsp) mild harissa paste
- 60g bulgur wheat, cooked according to the packet instructions
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 60ml (¼ cup) fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 50g pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 4 – 6 small assorted peppers, halved and seeded
Heat 30ml (2 tbsp) of oil in a pan. Gently fry the onion and garlic for 3 – 4 minutes. Add the mince and cook, stirring constantly, for a further 4 – 5 minutes.
Stir in the harissa paste, wheat and tomatoes.
Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients, except for the peppers. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Arrange the peppers cut side up on a baking tray. Spoon in the filling.
Drizzle with the remaining oil and roast for 12 – 15 minutes. Serve hot.
To drink: Try Kanonkop Kadette Pinotage, full of berries and spice.