The perfect dinner for the whole family.
Recipe, styling and photography by Hein van Tonder
Tandoori coconut chicken with fennel and chickpeas
TANDOORI SPICE MIX
- 20g paprika
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- pinch chilli flakes
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed and sliced into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp tandoori spice mix (see above) or storebought masala/chicken curry spice mix
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 250ml (1 cup) coconut milk
- 8 each chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch salt
- lemon wedges, to serve
- plain double-cream/Greek yoghurt, to serve (optional)
- fresh coriander, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 230°C.
For the tandoori spice mix, combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Mix until well combined. Set aside until needed.
For the tandoori chicken, place the fennel wedges, crushed garlic, drained and rinsed chickpeas, ⅔ of the tandoori spice mix (see above) or store-bought masala/chicken-curry spice mix, salt and freshly ground black pepper in a deep roasting dish. Add the bay leaves, cinnamon quill, chicken stock and coconut milk. Mix until well combined. Set aside.
Brush the chicken pieces with the olive oil and season with the remaining ⅓ of the tandoori spice mix or store-bought masala/chicken-curry spice mix. Sprinkle with the salt.
Place the chicken pieces on top of the fennel mixture in the roasting dish and bake in the preheated oven until the chicken is cooked, about 20 – 25 minutes.
Serve the tandoori chicken with the lemon wedges alongside. If desired, enjoy with the plain double-cream/Greek yoghurt garnished with the fresh coriander.
If you feel that the sauce is too thin after roasting, spoon the mixture into a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat until reduced and thickened to your liking.