TO DRINK: Meerlust Chardonnay 2008, with a smoky, lemon-blossom aroma.
Toasted goat’s cheese salad with walnuts and creamy mustard dressing
- 80ml (1/3 cup) walnut or olive oil
- 15ml (1 tbsp) wholegrain mustard
- 7,5ml (½ tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) red wine vinegar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) double cream
- 225g mixed salad leaves (rocket, watercress, baby spinach)
- 2 tomatoes, skinned, seeded and diced
- small bunch fresh chervil and/or tarragon
- 4 slices baguette, cut diagonally
- 50g butter, softened
- 325g soft goat’s cheese
- 90g walnuts, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) black poppy seeds
Combine all the dressing ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake until well blended.
For the salad, combine the leaves, tomatoes and chervil or tarragon in a large bowl and set aside.
Place the baguette slices on a baking sheet, spread with the butter and toast under the grill until evenly browned, about 2 – 3 minutes.
Mash the goat’s cheese with a fork until creamy (or blend it gently in a food processor).
Pour a little dressing over the salad leaves to moisten. Toss gently and arrange on 4 large plates.
Place a slice of baguette on each plate and top with a spoonful of the softened goat’s cheese. Sprinkle over the walnuts and the poppy seeds.
Drizzle a little of the remaining dressing around the plate and serve immediately.