This tomato, tamarind and aubergine soup with coconut crisps is the perfect, heart-warming soup on a cold winter’s evening.
Tomato, tamarind and aubergine soup with coconut crisps
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large aubergine, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 410g tin chopped tomatoes
- 4 fresh curry leaves
- 30ml (2 tbsp) tamarind paste
- 500ml (2 cups) tomato passata
- 1L (4 cups) good quality chicken stock
- 1 x 400g tin coconut cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- toasted shaved coconut, to serve
Heat the oil in a large stock pot. Add the onion and aubergine and sauté until golden brown.
Add the garlic, chopped tomatoes, curry leaves and tamarind paste, and cook for 3 minutes.
Add the passata, chicken stock and coconut cream, and season.
Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Ladle into warm bowls and scatter with the coconut before serving.