No need to take along pots and pans, grill the trout in newspaper. It keeps it moist and locks in all the flavour.
Trout in newspaper
- 1,5kg large trout or any other linefish of your choice
- bunch of fresh coriander
- 4 garlic cloves
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh ginger, grated
- 1 red chilli, seeded, optional
- 6 baby fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 6 limes, sliced, plus extra wedges, to serve
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- olive/avocado oil
- fresh limes and watercress, to serve
Prepare a warm fire in the braai. Rinse the fish with water and pat dry.
Remove the coriander leaves from the stalks, keep the leaves for garnishing. Chop coriander stalks, garlic, ginger and chilli and place in a bowl.
For the trout, take a large double sheet of newspaper, line with baking paper and place the fennel and some of the lime slices in the middle.Lay the fish on top, divide the herb mixture and line the cavities. Season and drizzle with oil. Top with more lime slices and drizzle with more oil.
Wrap up in newspaper and tie with string. Soak in a bucket of water for no longer than 5 minutes.
Braai the fish parcel until the flesh is firm to the touch, about 30 – 45 minutes.
Remove the trout from the paper, drizzle with juices, sprinkle with extra coriander leaves and watercress and add extra lime wedges. Serve with the beetroot and couscous.