Vegan almond butter and toasted millet truffles
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) canola oil
- 70g dehulled millet, uncooked
- 180g almond butter
- 30ml (2 tbsp) desiccated coconut
- Pinch salt
- 5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 100g dried figs, finely chopped
- 170g sugar-free dark chocolate (we used Canderel Dark), finely chopped
- Chopped raw almonds, to garnish
- Cocoa powder, to dust (optional)
Heat the canola oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the millet and toss to toast, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and place in a bowl with the almond butter, coconut, salt, vanilla extract and dried figs. Mix well to combine and place in the freezer to firm up, 30 minutes.
When the mixture is firm, roll into balls, about 2cm in diameter, and place on a tray lined with baking paper. Return to the freezer to firm up, about 15 minutes.
While the truffles firm up, melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water.
Dip the firmed truffles into the melted chocolate to coat, return to the lined tray and place in the freezer until ready to serve. Before serving, defrost for 10 minutes then sprinkle with the raw chopped almonds and dust with cocoa powder, if desired.