TO DRINK: Sequillo White, a spicy, fragrant blend of Rhone varieties.
White wine and mussel spaghetti with salsa
- 400g spaghetti
- 15ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 5ml (1 tsp) garlic, finely chopped
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) dried chilli flakes
- 300ml dry white wine
- 1kg raw mussels in half shells
- 100ml fresh cream
- 45ml (3 tbsp) parsley, roughly chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 orange or yellow pepper, seeded and diced
- 60ml (¼ cup) cucumber, diced
- fresh rocket, to serve
- toasted country loaf, to serve
Cook the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water until al dente and drain.
Heat the butter in a separate pot and fry the onion, garlic, butter, thyme, bay leaf and chilli flakes until the onions have softened slightly. Add the wine, bring to the boil and simmer uncovered for 1 minute. Add the mussels and cook for 4 – 5 minutes. Add the cream, simmer for a few minutes and stir in the parsley. Season.
For the salsa, mix all the ingredients together and set aside.
Divide the pasta between 4 bowls and top with the mussels and sauce. Sprinkle with the salsa and serve with rocket and bread on the side.