This is a delicious combination of flavours for cold winter days. Try the fruit-driven and floral Avondale Amira Cabernet Franc 2004: rustic and hearty, just like this soup.
Winter greens minestrone with pesto
- 30ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery stalks, finely sliced
- 125g fine green beans, cut into 2cm pieces
- 125g frozen peas
- 250g fresh asparagus, cut into 2cm pieces
- 125g frozen broad beans
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 50ml fresh basil, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh cream, to taste
- basil pesto, to garnish
- Parmesan, freshly grated, to garnish
Heat the oil in a pot and add the garlic, onion and celery. Cook gently until softened.
Add half of the green beans, peas, asparagus and broad beans, and gently coat in the oil.
Add the stock and bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the remaining vegetables and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Stir in the basil and thin with a little boiling water if necessary. Season to taste.
Serve with a dollop of fresh cream, pesto and Parmesan.