Whether it’s Thai, Indian, Cape Malay or Durban danger, we’ve put together a list of some of the best curry restaurants in Cape Town (that might give your mother-in-law’s masala a run for its money).
Flavour incoming! Here are the best places to get a curry in Cape Town.
1. Prashad Café
A collaboration between mother, son and daughter, chef Theresa and manager Krishan Peters and Tereena Cherin Naidoo, from the famous Maharajah Vegetarian brand. Styled like a modern-day café, here you can catch a quick coffee and snack, or enjoy the robust taste of pure vegan and vegetarian Indian cuisine.
- Dish recommendations: Vegan butter ‘chicken’ with garlic naan and rice | The best chilli bites you’ll ever eat
- Location: Kloof Street | Rondebosch | Constantia Village Mall | Mojo Market (Sea Point)
- Website: www.prashad.co.za
Working with Chef Nate Coe, Liam Tomlin has built a contemporary Indian restaurant around the concept of ‘thali’. Traditionally, ‘thali’ is a complete meal consisting of ten or more regional Indian dishes (think modern Indian tapas). Taste bites of the best or order a full-on dish — the choice is yours. Thali forms part of the iconic Chefs Warehouse group, so you know you’re in for a treat.
- Dish recommendations: Goan-style Octopus Curry | Mango and coconut kulfi
- Location: 3 Park Road, Gardens
- Website: www.chefswarehouse.co.za
MoKsh means freedom or liberation. It also means to attain the highest level of satisfaction. At MoKsh, the chefs provide guests with authentic cuisine from North India, famous for its savoury clay oven dishes and exotic curries.
- Dish recommendations: Lamb Rogan Josh with paratha | Butter chicken with garlic naan
- Locations: Kenilworth | Durbanville | Paarl | Welgelegen | Somerset West | West Beach | Paddocks | Haasendal Gables
- Website: mokshrestaurants.com
4. JJ’s Indian Cuisine & Takeaway
Described as offering an ‘authentic Durban curry’ this is the place to go for all things biryani and bunnies (bunny chow, that is).
- Dish recommendations: Traditional lamb bunny chow
- Location: 4 Harbour Rd, Kalk Bay, Cape Town
- Website: jjs-indian-cuisine-takeaway
5. Rysars Curry Kitchen
This is the place to go for ‘a true Durban curry’. In addition to traditional bunny chows, biryanis, and classic curries, Rysars also sells spices to take home and caters for all sorts of functions.
- Dish recommendations: Bean curry and rice | Durban-style biryani
- Location: 23 Milner Street, Paarden Eiland
- Website: rysars.spices
6. Yindees Authentic Thai
Known as the charming restaurant on the corner with warm lights and traditional floor seating, Yindees brings a taste of Thailand to Cape Town.
- Dish recommendation: Thai green curry (chicken) with coconut rice | Tofu pad Thai
- Location: 22 Kamp St, Gardens, Cape Town
- Website: yindees.com
7. The Burner
The Burner Restaurant is a casual dining restaurant specialising in Durban-style Indian cuisine. The portions are generous and rumour has it that the bunny chows are addictive.
- Dish recommendations: Paneer and pea curry served with rice or roti and carrot salad | Boneless lamb bunny chow
- Locations: Century City | Bellville
- Website: theburnerrestaurant.com
8. Biesmiellah Restaurant
Biesmiellah is an unfussy, alcohol-free setting serving a selection of Cape Malay curries and other South African dishes.
- Dish recommendations: Baby chicken masala | Mutton Korma
- Location: 2 Wale St & Pentz St Bo-Kaap, Schotsche Kloof
- Website: www.biesmiellah.co.za
9. Shamani Indian Cuisine
Shamani is derived from the names of the husband and wife team, Shakila and Manmohan, as a symbol of their love for each other. Shakila’s artistic touch, with Mani’s passion for food and zest for life is reflected in Shamani. The menu reveals the colours of vibrant spices and incredible flavours. We heard that ‘the owner is the best guy ever!’
- Dish recommendations: Paneer Methi Malai | Lamb Tikka Masala | Tandoori Chicken
- Location: Ground Floor, 74 Roodebloem Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town
- Website: Shamani-Indian-Cuisine
10. Bombay Chilli
Bombay Chilli has a lekker menu filled with all the classics — and there’s nothing better than a classic done right. Enjoy everything from chicken and prawn curry to lamb vindaloo, in-house or at home. Lap it all up with buttery naan.
- Dish recommendations: Palak Paneer (with creamy spinach) | Lamb Korma
- Location: Muizenberg |Plumstead
- Website: www.bombaychilli.co.za
Experience the finest Indian cuisine as north meets south in a fiery fusion of exotic and mouth-watering dishes.
- Dish recommendations: Garlic Lamb Tikka | Daal Fry | Chicken Biryani | Lamb Rogan Josh
- Location: Southern Sun Hotel, Main Rd, Newlands
- Website: www.bihari.co.za
12. Simply Asia:
One of the country’s most popular eateries, Simply Asia is known for delivering a good dish with each order. For the brave, try ordering the ‘hot’ option.
Your taste buds will thank us later.
- Dish recommendations: Thai green curry | massaman curry
- Website: simplyasia.co.za
- Location: Check out the website to find a location closest to you.
13. Bombay Brasserie
The Taj Hotel’s resident restaurant, this eatery takes keen foodies on a culinary journey through India. Bombay Brasserie offers diverse cooking styles from all across India and adds two unique elements: authentic Cape Town flair and flavour. The new Bombay Brasserie fine dining menu still includes old favourites, however, eight new star dishes have been added, including Tikka Masala (charred tikka, fenugreek, onion and tomato sauce).
- Dish recommendations: Baingan Bharta (clay oven smoked Aubergine crushed with crumbled feta)
- Website: www.tajhotels.com
- Location: Taj Cape Town, 1 Wale St, Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town
14. Vintage India
As the name suggests, Vintage India serves up some of the best authentic Indian dishes in Cape Town. Dishes like butter chicken curry and tandoori rooti are always winners.
- Location: 10 Hiddingh Village, C/o Hiddingh Ave and Mill St, Gardens, Cape Town
- Website: Vintage India Cape Town / Facebook
15. Sigree Indian Cuisine
‘Never ever have I ever tasted anything so amazing as the lamb Rogan Josh and chicken Tikka masala, my taste buds were just sent to heaven with the most unimaginable flavours,’ said one happy Sigree customer. This eatery might be the new kid on the corner in Kenilworth (literally on the corner) but they are delivering serious flavour.
- Dish recommendations: Allepey Fish Curry | Lamb Bhuna Gosht | Onion Bhajiya
- Location: 166 2nd Ave, Kenilworth, Cape Town
- Website: www.sigree.co.za
16. Masala Dosa
This local favourite has closed its physical doors, but curry lovers can still taste the goodness by ordering in or by taking a cooking class. Contact 021 424 6772 to order or book.
- Location: 167 Long St, Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town
- Website: Masala Dosa 167 Long Street / Facebook
If you ever find yourself in Johannesburg, be sure to check out The 13 Best Maboneng Restaurants.
Ready for a sweet treat?
- 5 Chocolate-based experiences in and around Cape Town
- Yes, it’s true; at ditto you can have ice cream and waffles too
- Cape Town’s Café Chiffon: picture-perfect and oh so delicious
- Milk Beach transforms ice cream into delectable art
- 5 must-try dessert spots in Cape Town to satisfy your craving
If you ever find yourself in Johannesburg, be sure to check out The 20 Best Restaurants in Midrand.