Simple tips for homemade pasta… by Anna Montali
How to make two types of pasta
- To make the dough for filled pasta such as ravioli or tortellini, use 1 large egg for every 100g flour. Sieve the flour onto a clean surface and make a well in the centre. Add the egg and a pinch of salt and mix quickly with a fork until combined. Knead the dough until it comes together in a smooth ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling the dough out and putting it through a pasta machine to make sheets.
- To make the dough for long pasta and other shapes, use 5 large egg yolks for every 100g flour. Season, mix very quickly and shape into a ball of dough. Wrap in plastic and leave to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes before slicing and rolling through a pasta machine.
How to make ravioli
- Knead your pasta dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- Cut into slices that will fit through a pasta machine.
- Put each piece through the machine, starting on the first, widest notch.
- Roll each piece again, moving to a thinner notch each time until you reach the last notch. You should have long strips of pasta about 8cm wide.
- Lay the strips out on a clean surface and brush with a lightly beaten egg.
- Pipe the filling along the edge of the dough and fold over to contain the filling.
- With your fingertips, squash the pasta together at intervals to form little parcels.
- Cut between each parcel with a cookie cutter to form ravioli.
- Leave to dry for a few hours before cooking.
Why don’t you try these delicious pasta recipes?