Beetroot and caramelised apple soup with horseradish dumplings
- 100ml olive oil
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500g beetroot, scrubbed and grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 large potato, washed and grated
- 1L (4 cups) chicken stock
- 250ml (1 cup) apple juice
- 140g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 5ml (1 tsp) sugar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) white margarine, butter or suet
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh dill, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) creamed horseradish
- 125ml (½ cup) full-cream milk
- CARAMELISED APPLES
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- 20g (2 tbsp) butter
- 50ml sour cream, to serve (optional)
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Heat half of the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the leek and onion, 5 – 8 minutes. Add remaining olive oil, beetroot, carrot and potato, and sauté, about 10 minutes.
Add stock and apple juice, and simmer for a further 40 minutes.
For the dumplings, sift the flour, salt and sugar in a bowl, and cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add dill.
Mix the horseradish into the milk and stir into the flour mixture to make a soft dough. Do not overwork the mixture or it will become tough.
Drop teaspoonfuls into the soup 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time, and simmer with the lid on.
For the caramelised apple, sauté apple slices in butter over medium heat until caramelised and golden.
Serve the soup with dumplings and sour cream (if using), and garnish with caramelised apples.