RECIPE AND STYLING BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE
PHOTOGRAPH BY DYLAN SWART AND HEMA PATEL
Cheesy baked kingklip
- olive oil, to grease
- 4 x 250g portions sustainably caught kingklip, skin off and deboned
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- squeeze fresh lemon juice + lemon wedges, to serve
- 400ml store-bought cheese sauce
- 80g panko/dried breadcrumbs
- 50g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 200˚C. Grease a 28 x 21cm baking dish with olive oil.
Arrange the kingklip portions in the prepared dish, then season to taste and pour in the fresh lemon juice. Add the store-bought cheese sauce, making sure each kingklip portion is well covered with sauce.
Bake in the preheated oven until the fish is cooked, about 20 minutes. 4 While the fish is baking, mix the breadcrumbs and grated Cheddar together in a medium bowl. Set aside until needed.
Once the fish is done, remove from oven and sprinkle the cheesy breadcrumb mixture over it. Switch the oven to grill, then place the baking dish under the hot grill until the cheesy breadcrumb layer turns golden brown, about 5 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on it, as the cheese will burn easily.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with the chopped fresh parsley. Serve immediately, with the lemon wedges alongside, for squeezing.