TO DRINK: A juicy, light style like a chianti loves tomato-based dishes
- 250ml (1 cup) cake flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 x 410g tin chopped tomatoes
- 3ml (½ tsp) dried oregano
- 125ml (½ cup) white wine
- 1 punnet portabellini mushrooms, halved
- fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to serve
Combine the flour and seasoning in a plastic bag. Add the chicken pieces and coat well.
Heat the oil in a large casserole pan. Fry the chicken pieces in batches until golden on both sides. Remove from the dish and set aside.
Add the onion, garlic and green pepper to the pan and sauté until the onion is golden brown. Return the chicken to the pan and add the tomatoes, oregano and white wine. Season well, cover with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes over medium heat.
Add the mushrooms, adjust the seasoning and simmer for 10 more minutes. Garnish with the parsley and serve with creamy polenta.