This chicken venezia dish can be prepared ahead and baked on the day that you want to serve it. It needs a wine with richness and minerality: go for Perdeberg Reserve Chenin Blanc.
- 2kg chicken pieces
- 1 garlic bulb, peeled and puréed
- 30ml dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 60ml red wine vinegar
- 60ml olive oil
- 125ml pitted prunes
- 125ml pitted green olives
- 3 bay leaves
- 60ml capers, with a little brine
- 100g brown sugar
- 125ml white wine
- 30ml parsley or coriander, finely chopped
Combine the chicken, garlic, oregano, seasoning, vinegar, olive oil, prunes, olives, bay leaves, capers and brine. Leave to marinate in the fridge overnight.
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Place the chicken in a baking dish. Spoon the marinade over, sprinkle with brown sugar and pour over the wine.
Bake for 1 hour, basting frequently.
Transfer to a serving platter and serve sprinkled with the herbs.