TO DRINK: A light tawny port works well with both chocolate and plums, and isn’t too heavy with dessert.
Chocolate and cinnamon iced souffles with poached plums
- 6 large egg yolks
- 250g castor sugar
- 15ml (1 tsp) cinnamon, freshly ground
- 45ml (3 tbsp) Frangelico
- 300ml fresh cream, whipped
- 200g good-quality dark chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 6 large egg whites, whipped to medium peaks
- 8 soufflé moulds or teacups, collared with a ring of greaseproof paper and secured with an elastic band
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- 500g white sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 large ripe plums
- 60ml (¼ cup) Frangelico
- cocoa powder, to serve
For the soufflé, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, cinnamon and Frangelico together until thick and pale.
Lightly fold in the cream, then the chocolate and then the egg whites to incorporate as much air as possible. Spoon or pipe the mixture into the prepared moulds and freeze overnight.
To poach the pears, combine the water, sugar, vanilla pod and cinnamon, and bring to the boil. Once the sugar has dissolved, reduce to a simmer. Add the plums and cover with greaseproof paper, pressing down to ensure that the paper covers the fruit. Simmer until soft but ensure that the fruit retains its shape, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, discard the skin and add the Frangelico.
Remove the collars from the soufflé moulds. Place the iced soufflés on serving plates, dust with cocoa powder and top with the plums. Serve immediately.