Everyone loves a good meatball. So why not transform these childhood favourites into a sophisticated adult sandwich?
Recipe by Alida Ryder
Ciabatta with meatballs and harissa sour cream
- 500g beef mince
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried oregano
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried chilli flakes
- 45g (¾ cup) fresh breadcrumbs
- 10 – 15ml (2 – 3 tsp) salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Harissa sour cream
- 150g sour cream/crème fraîche
- 45ml (3 tbsp) harissa paste, thinned with olive oil if necessary
- 4 slices ciabatta, griddled/toasted under the grill
- fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
For the meatballs, combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Form golf ball-size meatballs and set aside.
Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add oil. Fry the meatballs, turning frequently, until they’re cooked through and golden brown all over, 10 – 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towel.
For the harissa sour cream, combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix through.
To assemble, top the griddled ciabatta with the meatballs and drizzle over the harissa sour cream. Top with fresh parsley and serve immediately.