TO DRINK: Paul Cluver Chardonnay 2008, with oak flavour on the palate for the pastry and elegant creaminess in the character to match the richness of the cheeses inside.
Cigara boregi (cheesy phyllo cigars)
- 250g ricotta
- 250g Danish feta
- handful fresh mint, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 sheets spring-roll pastry
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten, for brushing
- oil, for deep-frying
- sweet chilli sauce, to serve
Mix together the ricotta, feta, mint and pepper until well combined.
Cut the pastry into squares measuring 15cm x 15cm squares. Place a spoonful of the cheese mixture in one corner of each pastry sheet, then roll up like a cigar and tuck in the edges. Lightly brush the cigars with the beaten egg to seal the edges.
Deep-fry in the hot oil in batches until golden brown and serve with sweet chilli sauce or any other dip, such as hummus.