TO DRINK: The elegant, lightly oaked Cape Point Semillon 2007. It won’t fade when paired with strong flavours.
Crispy chicken tikka quesadillas
- 6 ready-made flour tortillas
- 100g Cheddar, grated
- 300g roast chicken, thickly sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 2 red chillies, seeded and sliced
- fresh coriander, chopped
- 60ml (¼ cup) crème fraîche
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- SPICY BEANS
- 1 x 435g tin refried beans
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- juice and zest of 1 small lime
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- fresh coriander root and leaves, chopped
Place 3 tortillas on a board and divide the cheese between them. Distribute the chicken, onion, chillies and coriander equally over the cheese.
Spread the crème fraîche on one side of the 3 remaining tortillas and sandwich these, cream-side-down, on top of the chicken tortillas.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and carefully place a quesadilla in the hot oil. Fry over a medium heat until crisp and golden (the cheese filling should start to melt), about 4 minutes. Carefully turn over and cook the other side until crisp and golden, about a further 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining quesadillas.
To make the spicy beans, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
Cut the quesadillas into quarters and serve hot with the spicy beans.