Crunchy layered beetroot salad with balsamic, honey and citrus dressing
Recipes : Moira Allison
Food Stylist : Anna Montali
Photographers : Shaun Smith
Crunchy layered beetroot salad
- 45ml (3 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- 75ml 100% orange juice
- 60ml (¼ cup) oil
- 45ml (3 tbsp) honey
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 handfuls frilly green lettuce/lettuce of your choice
- 1 x 230f jar Koo Crinkle Cut Sliced Beetroot, drained
- 2 large avocados, peeled, pitted, sliced and sprinkled with lemon juice (to prevent browning)
- 1 x 400g tin Koo Chickpeas
- 3 oranges, peeled and cut into segments
- small handful croutons (see Cook’s tip)
- chopped spring onion or fresh parsley, to garnish
For the dressing, whisk all of the ingredients together and allow to infuse, 15 minutes. Adjust the seasoning if required.
For the salad, assemble the ingredients in a large bowl: break up the lettuce up and place roughly on the bottom of the bowl. Layer the remaining ingredients over the lettuce. Spoon the dressing over the top of the salad and allow it to filter through the layers. Garnish with chopped spring onion or parsley to serve.
Croutons are crispy cubes of bread that has been fried in a little oil or toasted in the oven. Different flavoured ones can be found in the shops for convenience. For a meaty meal, add cooked and diced bacon and serve the salad with some fresh health bread or a French baguette.