De Hoek’s coffee-marinated ostrich salad with roast pears, Gorgonzola and honey vinaigrette dressing
- 1L (4 cups) water
- 500ml (2 cups) strong freshly brewed coffee
- 30g (1 cup) kosher salt
- 125g (½ cup) packed dark brown sugar
- 60ml (¼ cup) molasses (regular or robust, not blackstrap)
- 750ml (3 cups) ice cubes
- 8 portions ostrich fillet steaks
- 200ml olive oil
- 80ml white wine vinegar
- 30ml (2 tbsp) honey
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 large pears, cut into segments and roasted in butter with honey until caramelised
- 300g Gorgonzola, cut into cubes
- 200g pecan nuts
- 2 handfuls fresh rocket
For the ostrich, stir together all of the ingredients except the ostrich fillet until fully dissolved. Add the ostrich steaks to the marinade, weigh down with a plate and marinate for 6 hours.
Remove the ostrich from the marinade and pat dry with paper towel. Season the fillet with freshly ground black pepper. Sear on a very hot grill and cook until medium-rare or to your liking.
Place the meat on a cooling rack for a few minutes before slicing thinly.
For the dressing, combine the ingredients and set aside.
Place the salad ingredients in the centre of a large plate and dress with the vinaigrette.
Add the slivers of ostrich and garnish with the rocket leaves.
Drizzle more of the vinaigrette over the finished dish.