We love this update of a retro South African starter! Perfect at a dinner party on a warm evening and best enjoyed outside, with a glass of sauvignon blanc to balance the dish’s richness
Deconstructed avocado ritz
- 3 garlic cloves, roasted
- 1 egg yolk
- 5ml (1 tsp) white wine vinegar
- 100ml sunflower oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 125g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 5ml (1 tsp) Tabasco sauce
- 200g prawns, cleaned and cooked
- small handful fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled and mashed
- fresh celery leaves, to garnish
For the mayonnaise, place the roasted garlic, egg yolk and vinegar in a glass jug. Using a stick blender, blitz to combine. Gradually add the sunflower oil, 15ml (1 tbsp) at a time, and blend continuously to emulsify. Season with the juice of half a lemon and salt and black pepper.
Gently beat the cream cheese with the Tabasco and the juice of half a lemon. Combine the cream cheese with the home-made mayonnaise.
Toss the prawns in the fresh dill and season. Season the mashed avocado.
To assemble, place a dollop of avocado in the base of 4 glasses. Top with the mayonnaise mixture and then the prawns. Garnish with celery leaves and serve immediately.