This soup will warm you up this winter!
Butternut-and-coconut soup with toasted seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 500g butternut, cubed
- 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
- 500ml (2 cups) warm vegetable stock
- lightly toasted mixed seeds, to serve
- 4 – 6 store-bought rotis, warmed according to packaging instructions
Heat the olive oil in a medium pot with a lid over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and fry until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the crushed garlic, ground turmeric, cumin, smoked paprika, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Fry until fragrant, about 2 minutes, then add the butternut cubes, coconut milk and vegetable stock. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the butternut is cooked, about 30 minutes.
Transfer the mixture to a blender and blitz until smooth. Divide the soup among 4 – 6 serving bowls. Top each portion with the lightly toasted mixed seeds. Enjoy with the warmed rotis.