Flower-fetti cake with cream cheese icing
- 250ml (1 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 4 medium-sized very ripe bananas, mashed
- 5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 350g castor sugar
- 350g self-raising flour, sifted
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 1 x 425g tin crushed pineapple, drained well
- 50g pecan nuts, chopped
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 400g icing sugar
- 150g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 200g full-fat cream cheese
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- edible flowers, to decorate
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line two 23cm-round cake tins.
For the cake, whisk together the oil and eggs, then add the bananas, vanilla extract and castor sugar. Fold in the flour, cinnamon, pineapple and pecan nuts. Divide the batter between the tins and bake until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out clean, 35 – 40 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before turning the cakes out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
For the icing, cream the icing sugar and butter together until light and fluffy. Whip in the cream cheese, zest and juice until just combined. Layer the cakes with the icing and decorate with edible flowers to serve.