Get ready for a delicious flavour experience. Fragrant roasted aubergine halves lentil coconut curry smell heavenly, thanks to the aromatic spices, and taste just as amazing.
Recipe and styling by Claire Ferrandi
Assisted by Nomvuselelo Mncube
Photograph by Annalize Nel
Fragrant roasted aubergine halves lentil coconut curry
- 4 aubergines, halved lengthways
- paprika, to sprinkle
- ground coriander, to sprinkle
- ground cumin, to sprinkle
- garam masala spice blend, to sprinkle
- olive oil + extra, to drizzle
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Lentil and coconut curry
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 red onions, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 20ml (4 tsp) yellow curry paste
- 2 x 400g tins lentils, drained
- ½ x 400ml tin coconut milk
- handful exotic tomatoes, diced
- fresh coriander leaves
- handful coconut shavings, toasted
- handful pomegranate rubies
Preheat the oven to 200˚C. Place the aubergines on roasting trays and sprinkle each half with a dusting of paprika, ground coriander, ground cumin and garam masala. Drizzle with olive oil, season well to taste and roast until the aubergine halves are tender, 45 minutes.
For the curry, heat a medium pot over low heat. Add the olive oil, red onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the curry paste and fry for a further 3 minutes, before adding the lentils and coconut milk and simmering for 5 minutes. Season well to taste.
To serve, top each roasted aubergine half with the curry and sprinkle with either diced tomatoes and coriander or coconut shavings and pomegranate rubies.