Recipe by James Diack & Matthew Wright
Photography by Dylan Swart
Fried chicken with spicy tomato dipping sauce
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 5ml (1 tsp) smoked paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1L (4 cups) buttermilk
- 1½ whole chickens, cut into 12 pieces
- 125ml (½ cup) cornflakes, crushed
- 125ml (½ cup) dried breadcrumbs
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 250ml (1 cup) cake flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 15ml (1 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 500g Rosa tomatoes
- 1 fresh red chilli, chopped
- 100g brown sugar
- 50ml rice wine vinegar
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
For the chicken, mix the salt, paprika, garlic and buttermilk in a large bowl. Add the chicken pieces and coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate, 24 hours.
Remove the chicken from the liquid and set aside. Combine the crushed cornflakes and breadcrumbs in a bowl and season.
Roll the chicken pieces in the flour, then in the beaten eggs and finally crumb them in the crushed cornflakes and breadcrumb mixture.
Place the chicken in a deep-fryer, preheated to 195°C, and cook until golden, 7 – 10 mintues. Remove from the oil and place on a baking tray in the preheated oven until cooked through and crisp, about 15 minutes.
For the dipping sauce, place the oil in a small pot and fry off the tomatoes and chilli, about 5 minutes.
Add the sugar and vinegar and continue to cook until it reaches a jam-like consistency, 15 – 20 minutes.
To serve, stack the chicken on a plate and serve with the dipping sauce.