Great flavours to spice up your usual roast. Grapefruit, honey and chilli roasted chicken is a twist on a conventional family dinner, full of sharp flavours and citrus tang. Perfect for Sunday lunch!
Grapefruit, honey and chilli roasted chicken
- 250ml (1 cup) grapefruit juice
- 60ml (¼ cup) sunflower oil
- 60ml (¼ cup) honey
- 5ml (1 tsp) chilli flakes
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 drum and thigh chicken pieces
- 12 baby onions
- 2 grapefruits, sliced into rounds
- 2 oranges, sliced into rounds
- savoury rice or couscous, to serve
- green salad, to serve
Whisk the juice, oil, honey, chilli, garlic and thyme together, transfer to a large zip-lock bag and season. Place the chicken pieces in the bag with the marinade and marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Remove the chicken pieces, thyme and onions with a slotted spoon and place in a baking dish. Pour one third of a cup of the marinade over the chicken and bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until golden and tender.
Baste the chicken with the pan juices as it bakes. When the chicken has baked for 20 minutes, add the sliced grapefruit and orange to the baking dish and let it roast for another 10 – 15 minutes.
Serve with savoury rice or couscous and a green salad.