AMARULA CRÈME ANGLAISE
300ml fresh cream
150ml Amarula (optional)
5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
4 egg yolks
15ml (1 tbsp) Hamilton Russell
Vineyards fynbos honey
1. Heat the cream and Amarula in a saucepan, but do not allow to boil.
2. Whisk the vanilla, egg yolks and honey together until pale yellow, and pour the warm cream mixture over while whisking. Return to low heat, and cook while stirring constantly until the mixture coats the back of a metal spoon, 3 – 5 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
3. Serve the cake with crème anglaise and Irish coffees.
For a non-alcoholic crème anglaise, increase the cream to 450ml, add another 5ml (1 tsp) of honey, and omit the Amarula.
Guinness and African chocolate cake
- 115g unsalted butter
- 290g Demerara sugar
- 2 eggs
- 210g cake flour
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) baking powder
- 5ml (1 tsp) baking soda
- 55g cocoa powder
- 5ml (1 tsp) vanilla paste
- 50g DV 70% Madagascar Sambirano
- Valley Chocolate, finely chopped
- 125ml (½ cup) Guinness
Preheat the oven to 180°C, and grease a silicone ring mould.
Cream the butter and sugar in a food processor. Add the eggs one at a time.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder together in a separate bowl and gradually add to the butter and sugar mixture.
Add the vanilla paste, chopped chocolate and Guinness, and mix.
Pour into the mould and bake in the preheated oven until cooked, 40 – 50 minutes. Start checking from 40 minutes, but do not open the oven door before. Turn out on a cooling rack and leave to cool.