Use this soda bread recipe for the shamrock croûtons
Recipe and styling by Sarah Dall
Photography by Myburgh du Plessis
Irish potato, leek and pea soup with shamrock croûtons
- 3 tbsp butter
- 250g leeks, washed well and finely chopped
- 3 potatoes, peeled and grated
- 500ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
- 65g (½ cup) frozen peas
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 100ml pouring cream, to serve
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, to garnish
- 6 slices spinach soda bread (find recipe above)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the soup, melt the butter in a medium pot on high heat. Add the leek and sauté for 5 minutes. Turn down the heat, add the potato and stock, and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the peas and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
Using a stick blender, blitz until smooth. Season to taste.
For the croûtons, preheat the oven to 180°C. Using a shamrock cookie cutter (find online or at specialist baking stores), cut out 12 croûtons from the soda bread slices. Place the croûtons on a baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil. Bake, turning once, until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side.
To serve, divide the soup among 6 bowls and drizzle with a little cream. Garnish with sprigs of fresh thyme and serve with the croûtons.