Recipe by Karen Hart – this nectarine and pistachio preserve is incredibly delicious!
Makes about 5 jars of 250g each
1kg ripe yellow-flesh nectarines
3¾ cups granulated sugar
Freshly squeezed juice of 2 lemons
½ cup pistachio nuts, chopped
- First, peel the nectarines
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil.
- Meanwhile, cut a cross with a sharp knife in the base of each nectarine.
- When the water is boiling, drop in the fruit, turn off the heat and leave for 3 – 4 minutes. Drain the nectarines and slip off the skins.
- Dice the fruit and discard the stones.
- Put the nectarine flesh, sugar and lemon juice into a large saucepan or preserving pan and bring the mixture slowly to the boil.
- Cook it at full rolling boil for about 20 minutes, skimming of the scum that rises to the surface.
- Stir in the nuts and simmer for a minute or two before testing for a set.
- Ladle into hot, sterilised jars and seal