From Food for Friends by Levi Roots.
Mango and ginger chutney
- 350g onions, finely chopped
- 400ml malt vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) black mustard seeds
- 1kg mangoes, peeled, stoned and sliced into wedges
- 250g tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 450g sugar
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground ginger
- 1ml (¼ tsp) ground cloves
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) ground allspice
Put the onions in a large saucepan with the vinegar, bay leaves and chillies and simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes, or until they are almost tender. Meanwhile, toast the mustard seeds under a medium grill until they begin to pop.
Add the mangoes, apples and mustard seeds to the onion mixture and cook for about 15 minutes or until the fruit is soft. Add the sugar, ginger, cloves and allspice, increase the heat and boil for 30 – 40 minutes, or until the mixture resembles a thick jam. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking. Allow to cool, then serve.
Alternatively, spoon the chutney into sterilised jars while it is still hot, and seal. The chutney will keep for up to 9 months, but should be refrigerated once opened.