Recipe by Taryne Jakobi
“Be warned – the process of making these can get a little messy but, after that, the hardest part of this recipe is waiting for these tasty morsels to cool so you can tuck in!”
Maple candied bacon
- 125ml (½ cup) maple syrup
- 75g light brown sugar
- 5ml (1 tsp) cayenne pepper
- 30ml (2 tbsp) wholegrain mustard
- 200g streaky bacon
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Prepare a baking tray by lining it with foil and
placing a cooling rack over the foil.
2. Combine all of the ingredients, except the bacon, in a bowl. Dip the bacon
into the maple syrup mixture, making sure each piece is well coated on both
sides. This is the messy part – I use kitchen gloves when doing this! Lay the
bacon strips across the cooling rack and cook in the oven until the bacon is
brown, being careful not to let it burn, 15 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and allow to cool – it will be soft from the oven, but will
firm up as it cools. Once cool, wrap in greaseproof paper and tie with string,
or fill a jar and tie with a gift tag.