Recipe by Puleng Moshoaliba
This recipe has 4 separate components and is a little challenging, but the end result is well worth the effort
180ml (¾ cup) thick cream
60g (4 tbsp) salted butter
5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
2,5ml (½ tsp) sea salt flakes
200g (1 cup) white sugar
160g corn syrup or pale golden syrup
- Heat half of the cream, half of the butter and the vanilla extract in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Set aside, cover and keep warm.
- Place the salt, sugar and the corn syrup or golden syrup in a heavy saucepan over low heat and stir continuously until the sugar has melted.
- Boil the syrup until it reaches 155°C on a sugar thermometer. Turn off the heat, stir in the warm cream, return to heat and boil rapidly until the thermometer reaches 127°C.
- Remove from heat, lift out the thermometer and stir in the remaining cream and butter.
- Pour the caramel syrup into the tart cases to reach halfway and set aside to cool.
Flourless chocolate cake
500g dark chocolate
10ml (2 tsp) Frangelico (optional)
165g hazelnuts, crushed
250ml (1 cup) whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 165°C.
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler.
- Break the eggs into a large heatproof bowl, add the Frangelico (if using) and place the bowl over a double boiler. Beat with an electric beater until foamy.
- Fold the melted chocolate and nuts into the eggs, and fold in the whipped cream.
- Pour the chocolate on top of the caramel in the tartlet cases that you filled earlier and bake in the preheated oven, about 8 minutes.
- Set aside to cool and garnish with chocolate ganache and roasted hazelnuts (recipe below).
Easy chocolate ganache
250g heavy whipping cream
250g dark or milk chocolate pieces
15g (1 tbsp) butter, at room temperature
- Bring the cream to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Place the chocolate in a bowl and pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the mixture until creamy, add the butter and continue whisking. Allow to cool for a few minutes before using to drizzle over the tartlets.
Miniature salted caramel-hazelnut and chocolate tartlets
- 500g flour
- 250g icing sugar
- 125g butter
- 2 eggs
- 30ml (2 tbsp) water
Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease a small muffin tray.
Rub the flour, icing sugar and butter together until the mixture resembles crumbs.
Add the eggs and mix until well combined. Add the cold water and mix until combined.
Rest the dough for 1 hour.
Roll the dough out on a floured work surface and cut out small circles. Press the circles into a small muffin tray and bake halfway, about 8 minutes. Set aside until needed.