TO DRINK: The Spanish Tempranillo grape is full of savoury flavours like tobacco, leather and herbs, standing up to earthy lamb. Try the local version from De Krans .
Oven-baked lamb with artichokes
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive/avocado oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1kg boneless lamb, cut into cubes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 x 400g tin artichoke hearts, drained
- 500ml (2 cups) dry white wine
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and sliced
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- roasted baby potatoes, to serve (optional)
- fresh thyme sprigs, to garnish (optional)
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Place an ovenproof casserole dish on the stove over medium heat. When hot, add the oil and garlic and cook, stirring, until the garlic is golden, about 3 minutes.
Add the lamb, season and fry until brown on all sides, about 4 minutes.
Stir in the artichokes, wine, tomatoes and parsley. Cover the dish and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, then remove the lid and bake uncovered until the lamb is tender, about a further 15 minutes.
Serve hot with the potatoes, garnished with the thyme.