This is our favourite salad for summer!
Recipe by Christine Capendale
Styling and photograph by Hein van Tonder
Pea salad with burrata, pine nuts, asparagus and a carrot and cumin dressing
- 16 spring onions, trimmed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 100g cos lettuce
- 150g green asparagus spears, steamed but still crisp
- 150g podded fresh peas, blanched and refreshed in cold water
- 100g mangetout, sliced diagonally
- 150g stem-on baby carrots, steamed
- 2 burrata (find at select delis, supermarkets and cheese stores)
- 50g pine nuts, toasted
- handful fresh pea shoots
CARROT AND CUMIN DRESSING
- 60ml (¼ cup) carrot juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat a griddle pan over high heat. Brush the spring onions with the 2 tsp olive oil and chargrill until tender and lightly charred. Set aside to cool.
For the carrot and cumin dressing, combine all the ingredients and blitz with a stick blender. Set aside.
For the salad, arrange the cos lettuce, asparagus spears, blanched peas, mangetout and carrots on 4 serving plates.
Add 4 cooled, charred spring onions, 1/2 burrata and some pine nuts to each plate. Garnish with pea shoots. Drizzle with the dressing or serve on the side.