Recipe by Illanique van Aswegen
Pepper-spiced pork and cherry salad with sour cream and chive dressing
- 180ml (¾ cup) sour cream
- 60ml (¼ cup) mayonnaise
- 15ml (1 tbsp) red wine vinegar
- 20ml (4 tsp) chives, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 smoked kassler chops
- olive or avocado oil
- 1 fennel bulb, tops removed, thinly sliced
- 1½ red baby cabbages, thinly sliced
- 20 – 30 basil leaves
- 500ml (2 cups) baby salad leaves
- 20 fresh cherries, pitted
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 60g (2 cups) croutons
- 100g goat’s cheese
For the dressing, whisk all of the ingredients together and season. Keep the dressing in the fridge until ready to use. The recipe yields 250ml (1 cup) of dressing and can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
For the salad, heat a griddle pan until hot. Lightly brush the kassler chops with oil and fry, 3 – 4 minutes on each side. Make sure the steaks are cooked through without any raw bits. Set aside to rest.
Toss the fennel bulb and baby cabbage with the basil, salad leaves, cherries and spring onions.
Slice the chops into strips and add to the salad just before serving. Add the croutons and crumble goat’s cheese on top. Serve with the dressing on the side.
If you’re not a fan of pork, substitute the chops with either smoked chicken or shredded duck meat.