- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 165g (¾ cup) castor sugar
- 5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 185g (1¼ cups) plain flour, sifted
- 5ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 40g (¼ cup) chopped pistachio nuts
- 125ml (½ cup) milk
- 2 x 500g packets ready-to-roll white icing
- icing sugar, for dusting
Preheat the oven to 160ºC.
Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until pale and creamy, about 10 – 15 minutes.
Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Fold through the flour, baking powder, pistachios and milk until well combined.
Spoon the mixture into 3 lightly greased, 12-hole, 1½-tablespoon-capacity mini muffin trays. Bake until cooked through when tested with a skewer, about 10 – 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on wire racks.
Roll out the icing on a surface dusted with icing sugar to 3mm thick. Use a 7cm round cookie cutter to cut out 36 rounds from the icing. Use a star-shaped patchwork cutter to gently press patterns into the rounds.
Place a round over each cake, trim the edges and tie with a ribbon.