Poached chicken and fig salad with Gorgonzola dressing
- 1L (4 cups) chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 peppercorns
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 8 figs, quartered
- 1½ avocados, diced
- 60ml (¼ cup) pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 12 cucumber ribbons
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 80g fresh watercress
- 60g Gorgonzola
- 5ml (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
- 15ml (1 tbsp) red wine vinegar
- 80ml ( cup) fresh cream
- 60ml (¼ cup) milk
- 5ml (1 tsp) chives, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the poached chicken, combine the chicken stock, bay leaves and peppercorns, and bring to a gentle simmer. Carefully add the chicken breasts to the warm stock and simmer uncovered until cooked, 10 – 12 minutes. Remove from the warm liquid and set aside to cool.
For the dressing, use a hand blender to blitz the Gorgonzola, mustard, vinegar, cream and milk together until smooth. Stir in the chopped chives and season.
To make the salad, toss the figs, avocado, pumpkin seeds, cucumber and spring onion together. Serve on a bed of watercress.
Thinly slice the chicken breasts and scatter on top. Add a drizzle of the dressing just before serving.