Poached pears in pomegranate juice with a creamy blue cheese and walnut dressing
- 4 firm pears, peeled, cored and halved
- 1 litre pomegranate juice
- 50ml red wine
- 60ml (¼ cup) castor sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 4 cloves
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh cream
- 100g blue cheese
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive/avocado oil
- walnuts, toasted to serve
- green salad, to serve
Place the pears into a deep pot and pour over the juice, wine, sugar, vanilla pod and seeds and spices and cover with baking paper.
Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
Remove the pears and allow the liquid to simmer until it is reduced by half.
Place the pears on a serving dish and pour over the reduced liquid. Leave to steep overnight.
For the dressing, mix all of the ingredients well together until smooth and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Serve the pears together with the dressing, the walnuts and salad.