TO DRINK: Monterosso Sangiovesehas rustic, meaty Italian flavours that match this robust dish.
- 300g tagliatelle
- 15ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 30ml (2 tbsp) capers
- 80ml (cup) olives, pitted and sliced
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried chilli flakes
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh basil, shredded
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste fresh coriander, to garnish
Cook the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water until al dente and drain.
Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry the onion and garlic for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, capers, olives and chilli flakes and simmer until the sauce has reduced and thickened slightly, about 10 – 15 minutes. Stir in the parsley and basil and season.
Serve the pasta with the sauce generously poured over, garnished with the coriander