Rack of lamb roasted on a bed of fennel and figs is a dish full of refreshing earthy flavours that go beautifully with melt-in-your-mouth meat. The lamb is pink and tender, while the figs bring a sweet fruitiness. A great dish for entertaining.
Rack of lamb roasted on a bed of fennel and figs
- 4 baby fennel bulbs, sliced
- 6 figs, halved
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive or avocado oil + extra, for frying
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 60ml (¼ cup) white wine vinegar
- 30ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- 2 x 6-cutlet lamb racks, trimmed
- microherbs, to serve
Preheat the oven to 190°C.
Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place the fennel and figs on the tray.
Combine the oil, salt, pepper, vinegar and sugar. Pour the mixture over the fennel and figs, and bake in the preheated oven, about 10 minutes.
Heat a frying pan with a little oil over medium-high heat and seal the racks of lamb.
Place the lamb racks on top of the fennel and figs. Cook at 190°C for 25 minutes for every 450g of meat for medium-rare.
Slice the lamb into cutlets. Serve with the fennel and figs, and pan juices. Garnish with microherbs.