Recipe by Jacques Erasmus
Red velvet pancakes with poached plums
- 200g (1 cup) sugar
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- pinch salt
- juice and rind of ½ a lemon
- 6 plums, halved
- 240g (2 cups) cake flour
- 45ml (3 tbsp) cocoa powder
- 10ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) bicarbonate of soda
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) salt.
- 500ml (2 cups) buttermilk
- 15ml (1 tbsp) white vinegar
- 105g (½ cup) castor sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 10ml (2 tsp) vanilla extract
- 80g melted butter
- 250ml (1 cup) crème fraîche
- 140g (1 cup) crushed raspberries
- seasonal berries, to serve
Dissolve the sugar in the water and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Add cinnamon, salt, lemond juice and rind.
Gently poach the plums in the syrup until soft, about 25 minutes.
Combine the cake flour with cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
Mix together the buttermilk, vinegar, castor sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and melted butter.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well. Lightly butter a non-stick pan and make large or small pancakes.
Serve the pancakes warm with the poached plums and crème fraîche marbled with crushed raspberries.
Finish with a few more seasonal berries.