Rich and creamy butterless butter chicken curry, served with classic Indian spices and basmati rice is the perfect comforting meal for a cold winter’s evening. Make it for the whole family and have enough for leftovers.
Recipe supplied by Flora
Rich and creamy butterless butter chicken curry
With classic Indian spices, served with basmati rice
- 125g (½ cup) Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 6g (2 teaspoons) ground cumin
- 6g (2 teaspoons) ground coriander
- 2g (1 teaspoon) garam masala
- 0.5g (¼ teaspoon) chilli powder
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 12g (3 tablespoons) Flora Gold
- 1 onion, halved and finely chopped
- 1 x 410g tin tomato purée
- 125ml (½ cup) chicken stock
- 123g (½ cup) double thick/thick cream
- coriander leaves, to serve
- steamed basmati rice, to serve
Place the yoghurt, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, garam masala and chilli powder in a glass or ceramic dish. Add the chicken. Stir to coat. Cover. Refrigerate for 30 minutes - 1 hour.
Heat the Flora Gold in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 - 4 minutes or until softened.
Add chicken mixture to pan. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the chicken just starts to change colour.
Add the tomato purée and stock. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the chicken is tender and the mixture has thickened slightly.
Stir in the cream. Simmer for a further 5 minutes or until heated through. Serve with steamed basmati rice and coriander leaves.