Roast leg of lamb with garlic and herbs
- 1,2kg leg of lamb, bone in
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 450ml red wine
- 125ml (½ cup) chicken stock
- 80ml (1/3 cup) chopped tomatoes
- juice of 2 lemons
- 10 carrots, sliced
- 7 baby marrows, sliced
Slice the leg and season well. Rub the garlic and rosemary all over and tie the leg with kitchen string to secure.
Heat a large frying pan to hot. Rub the lamb with the olive oil and sear on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Gradually pour the wine and the stock into the hot pan, scraping the bottom to deglaze. Stir in the tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and add the lamb and half the lemon juice. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
Turn the lamb over and simmer for another hour.
Add the vegetables, cook for a further 30 minutes and serve.