Recipe and styling by Robyn Timson Moss
Photograph by Dylan Swart
Roast leg of lamb with mint and pomegranate rubies
- 2,5kg leg of lamb, bone intact
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half lengthways
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced lengthways into quarters
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 250ml (1 cup) lamb stock
- handful fresh mint leaves
- handful pomegranate rubies
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Using a sharp paring knife, make 12 incisions all over the leg of lamb. Insert a garlic-clove half into each slit. Set aside until needed.
Place the onions, carrots, rosemary and thyme in a large stove-to-oven roasting dish. Arrange the leg of lamb on top and drizzle with the olive oil. Season well to taste. Roast in the preheated oven until the lamb is cooked, about 2 hours. Remove from oven and transfer the leg of lamb to a chopping board. Set aside to rest.
While the meat is resting, place the roasting dish with the veggies on the stove over low heat. Add the lamb stock and deglaze. Simmer, uncovered, until the liquid has reduced to a jus.
To serve, transfer the vegetables to a large serving platter. Place the leg of lamb on top, then drizzle with the jus. Garnish with the fresh mint leaves and pomegranate rubies.