Saffron and olive oil cake
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 120g castor sugar
- 185ml (¾ cup) olive oil
- 80ml (1/3 cup) milk
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 pinch of saffron threads, infused in the wine
- 125ml (½ cup) sweet dessert wine
- 185g (1½ cups) “00” Italian flour
- 10ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- SAFFRON SYRUP
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 210g castor sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) dessert wine
- a medium pinch of saffron threads
- mascarpone, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter a 20cm bundt cake tin and line the base with greaseproof paper.
Beat the egg yolks together with half of the castor sugar until pale and thick.
Add the olive oil, milk, zest and saffron-infused wine.
Put the flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl and fold the egg yolk mixture through.
Beat the remaining sugar with the egg whites until they hold medium peaks.