Perfect to serve for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Recipe, styling and photography by Hein van Tonder
Shakshuka with crispy chorizo
- 225g chorizo, sliced
- olive oil, to fry (optional)
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 fresh chillies, seeded and chopped/1 – 2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 x 410g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 4 – 6 large eggs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh coriander/ parsley, to garnish
Place a large skillet with a lid over medium-high heat. Add the slices of chorizo and fry until they have released their fat. Add a glug of olive oil, if needed, and add the finely sliced onion. Fry until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the minced garlic, seeded and chopped chillies/dried chilli flakes, ground coriander, smoked paprika, ground cumin, bay leaves and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix until well combined. Add the chopped tomatoes and sugar. Simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 10 – 15 minutes.
Reduce the heat to low and, using a spoon, make 4 – 6 wells in the tomato mixture. Break an egg into each well and season to taste. Cover and cook until the eggs are done to your liking, about 3 – 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and garnish with the chopped fresh coriander/parsley.