Sherry peas with quail eggs and ham
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 8 slices ibérico or serrano ham
- 60ml (¼ cup) full-cream sherry
- 60ml (¼ cup) vegetable stock
- 500g frozen peas
- Maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 soft-boiled quail eggs, peeled and kept warm
Heat a non-stick saucepan on medium to high heat and add the oil, garlic and onion. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add the ham and fry until it crisps, about 3 minutes. Remove the mixture and keep warm aside.
Reduce heat to medium, add sherry to the same pan and simmer while stirring, about 1 minute. Add the stock and peas and cook until the peas are soft yet still firm, about 5 minutes. Season to taste.
To assemble, layer the pea mixture in a tapas dish and carefully top with the ham, onion mix and halved quail eggs.
To boil the quail eggs, add enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Carefully add eggs with a slotted spoon and boil, about 3 minutes for a soft boil and 4 – 5 minutes for a hard boil.